Category Archives: news

13 Years Later, Photo of President Obama + Minister Farrakhan Surfaces

A photo taken in  2005 has surfaced, one that many claim would’ve derailed President Barack Obama’s 2008 bid for the White House.  The picture was taken with Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan at an event in 2005 for the Congressional Black Caucus.  The photographer who took the photo, Askia Muhammad said he kept the photo under wraps until now because he felt it would’ve ruined Obama’s chances to win.  Talk about a team player! But I still feel its a shame that it had to be hidden at all.

Coffee shops to post cancer warnings soon? You’ve got to be kidding…

Yesterday I stumbled upon some disturbing news, coffee may be killing us, slowly.  Some coffee chians in California have begun to settle a lawsuit, part of the deal will be warnings posted in coffee houses about coffee drinking’s cancer link.  It has been discovered that roasted coffee beans contain acrylamide, a chemical linked to cancer.

Just a few years ago the FDA issued a warning about the compound, found in plant-based foods cooked at high temperatures ( frying, roasting, or baking), and smaller amounts via boiling or steaming. According to the FDA:  it’s in chips, French fries, burnt toast, cereals, coffee, crackers, and dried fruits. The National Cancer Institute adds canned black olives and prune juice to the list.

 

Apple to scale back production of iPhone X , may get the axe

Apple plans to cut production of its flagship phone as we continue into 2018, due to disappointing sales for its pricey iPhone X.   Apple CEO Tim Cook said the iPhone X would “set the path of technology for the next decade.”

With its premium dual lens camera that enables new augmented reality apps and features, has yet to justify why a phone that costs $370 to manufacture is worth $1000.

Production targets for  the iPhone 8 and 7 models will stay intact, where it seems more customers have opted to go instead of paying more for basically the same thing.  Apple has not responded to requests for comment and does not typically speak publicly about production figures or rumors surrounding its handsets.

Dekalb County Commissioners Consider Decriminalizing Marijuana

Always the last to do anything that would benefit minorities (with one of the highest concentration of them of all counties in GA), it surprises me that Dekalb County would do anything that would slow the number of people they lock up for petty crime as opposed to the major crimes that continuously go unsolved there.  We’ll see how this goes, but I personally doubt that Dekalb County’s conservative (sucking the fun out of life) regime will ever approve this. I’ll be glad when it’s time to vote them out.  Full Story below:  Continue reading Dekalb County Commissioners Consider Decriminalizing Marijuana

In less than 24 hours, 3 Girls shot in Atlanta

I’m tripping right now, because when I was watching the news this morning, I was wondering why they had been on the same story all morning.  Once I went on with the day I realized that three girls under the age of 16 were shot in less than 24hrs in the city limits of Atlanta, GA.

Continue reading In less than 24 hours, 3 Girls shot in Atlanta

Ryan Cameron leaving V103 to join branding co Rakanter

Posted Friday, January 26, 2018 by RODNEY HO/rho@ajc.com on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog

Ryan Cameron, one of the most indelible hometown radio personalities in Atlanta history, is leaving the business to become a partner at a new Atlanta-based branding firm called Rakanter.

He made the surprise announcement this morning on V-103, leaving the still coveted morning slot after six years.

“I have done everything I can in this field,” said Cameron, who joined V-103 in 1991 and has worked there a collective 18 years. “It’s time for another chapter in my life.”

Rakanter founder Peter Sorckoff was former creative content officer for the Atlanta Hawks, where Cameron has been the long-time game announcer. Sorckoff approached Cameron with this opportunity last year, a chance for the Atlanta native to go in a different career direction, a direction that will enable him to work with major brands such as AT&T, Coca Cola, the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Jets and the Australian rugby team.

With his contract up at the end of the month, the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame inductee decided to move on. He said his final day will be Friday, February 2.

“What I need to do is better myself,” Cameron said. “I’ve been presented an opportunity to do something a lot of people of color aren’t able to do. That is being brought in on the ground level of a very successful business as a partner. Not an employee but a partner.”

Ultimately, he said on air, “I have yacht dreams. So I want you to have yacht dreams.”

He thanked his employer: ” My tenure here at V-103 has been the most fulfilling thing I could ever have done but I have to feel there’s something else that I can do.”

Cameron, 52, was one of the first jocks in town to play rap at V-103 in the early ’90s. He introduced TLC to Atlanta. In 1996, he took over the morning slot at Atlanta’s first rap station, Hot 97.5 (now Hot 107.9), where he nurtured interns such as rapper Ludacris and MTV VJ LaLa.

He spent eight years there, eventually challenging and sometimes beating V-103’s Frank Ski for supremacy among younger listeners. In 2005, he returned to V-103 as an afternoon host.

When Ski left at the end of 2012, Cameron took over the morning show, eventually joined by Ski’s former partner Wanda Smith.

“I’m so proud of you,” Smith said. “I thank you for the years we’ve been friends. We’ve been cool since day one. Congratulations to you.”

Cameron’s voice will not disappear immediately from the airwaves. He plans to continue to do radio ad endorsements. And he plans to continue to do Hawks announcing work at Philips Arena, which is really a labor of love.

V-103 has not announced an immediate replacement for Cameron in the mornings.

Cameron runs the Ryan Cameron Foundation Leadership Academy to mentor teens. And one of his most popular events over the years was his annual father-daughter dance.

Continue reading Ryan Cameron leaving V103 to join branding co Rakanter

Newsweek Tweets, Then Deletes Disrespectful Post towards MLK

The boldness of racism no longer surprises me, the bigots take it further and further everyday.  Newsweek reared its ugly racist face this week.

The magazine tweeted out a photo of her father in his casket Monday — then deleted it and apologized only after it started to suffer backlash.

The tweet had accompanied an article titled, “Has Anybody Here Seen My Old Friend Martin?” The article details upcoming anniversaries of historical events in world history.

“Why, Newsweek? Wow,” Bernice King tweeted shortly after. Newsweek then apologized for the “insensitive image,” but not the insensitive message and tone of the post.

“Earlier this afternoon we published an opinion piece with an insensitive image of Martin Luther King Jr. We sincerely apologize to the King family for this egregious error,” the statement said.

UK leaves the European Union; Pound at lowest level in 31 years

The pound dropped below $1.35 for the first time since 1985. The currency fell as much as 11% and was on course for its biggest one-day fall ever. It was down against all major world currencies.

The U.K. is first country to vote to leave the European Union. Prime Minister David Cameron resigned Friday, saying he would hand over to a new leader in about three months.

Stocks markets around the world are also falling sharply after the campaign to leave the EU won Thursday’s referendum.

“It is vile and ugly out there, the British pound is facing its worst day ever,” said Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst at ThinkForex.

Economists have been warning for months that if the U.K. referendum resulted in a vote for a British exit (Brexit) from the EU, that would do lasting damage to the British economy.

As the market fell, the Bank of England said it will take all necessary steps to meet its responsibilities for monetary and financial stability.

“The Bank of England is monitoring developments closely. It has undertaken extensive contingency planning and is working closely with HM Treasury, other domestic authorities and overseas central banks,” it said in a statement.

Continue reading here

John Lewis leads sit-in on House floor over guns

160622115547-dems-sit-in-on-guns-overlay-tease

Washington (CNN)John Lewis revived Wednesday one of the most evocative forms of protest from the civil rights movement — the sit-in — to demand House Republicans move on gun control.

In a move rich with historic symbolism, the civil rights icon and Democratic congressman from Georgia led a dramatic protest inside the House of Representatives. He and fellow Democrats sat down at the front of the chamber in an unusual demonstration of civil disobedience challenging Republican Speaker Paul Ryan.
“Sometimes you have to do something out of the ordinary. Sometimes you have to make a way out of no way. We have been too quiet for too long,” Lewis said. “There comes a time when you have to say something, when you have to make a little noise, when you have to move your feet. This is the time. Now is the time to get in the way. The time to act is now. We will be silent no more.”
Lewis was sent encouragement by one former president and the current one.
“Thank you John Lewis for leading on gun violence where we need it most,” President BarackObama tweeted.
In an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, Lewis said “too many of our children, too many of our sisters and brothers, our mothers and fathers, our friends, our cousins are dying by guns and we have to do something about it.”
He said lawmakers would remain on the floor.
“We don’t have any intention of leaving anytime soon,” Lewis said.
The sit-in follows the shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub earlier this month that killed 49 people — the deadliest incident of gun violence in American history. The shooting is renewing the debate over gun control legislation, which seems poised to go nowhere in Congress. The Senate blocked several gun measures Monday even as a CNN/ORC poll this week found that public support for changes such as tighter background checks hovers around 90%.
Ryan didn’t commit to holding a vote.
“The House cannot operate without members following the rules of the institution, so the House has recessed subject to the call of the chair,” his spokesman AshLee Strong said in a statement.
Several Republicans congressman criticized the sit-in as a political stunt.
“Calling this a sit-in is a disgrace to Woolworth’s,” Rep. Mark Walker of North Carolina tweeted. “They sat-in for rights. Dems are ‘sitting-in’ to strip them away.”
Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan tweeted, “Democrats are staging a sit-in on the House floor. They refuse to leave until our Constitution replaces due process with secret lists.”
Lewis, 76, perhaps the most prominent of the 1960s-era civil rights leaders still alive, is sometimes called the “Conscience of the U.S. Congress” and attracts wide bipartisan respect for his role and moral example in the struggle to end racial segregation.
He organized sit-ins at segregated lunch counters after being inspired to join Martin Luther King Jr.’s crusade for equality and eventually led the mass march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, on Bloody Sunday in 1965, one of the epochal events in American history. Lewis was beaten so badly by Alabama state troopers that they fractured his skull.
On Wednesday, the group of lawmakers chanted from the floor: “I’m sick and tired of being sick and tired!” and “No bill, no break!” while the House remained in recess.
As the sit-in gathered momentum, Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, a prominent gun control advocate following the Sandy Hook school massacre in 2012, walked over and joined the sit-in. The lawmaker led a nearly 15-hour filibuster in the Senate last week asking lawmakers to vote on gun reform. Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren also joined the group.
Former President Bill Clinton tweeted his encouragement, writing, “This is leadership” and linking to Lewis’ tweet about the sit-in.
the rest of the article is available here

Derrick Rose set to join Knicks after trade from Bulls

drosetrade

The Knicks and Bulls have agreed to a deal that will send former All-Star point guard Derrick Rose to New York, sources told ESPN.

The Knicks are sending center Robin Lopez, guard Jose Calderon and guard Jerian Grant to Chicago, which is shipping guard Justin Holiday, Rose and a 2017 second-round pick back to New York, sources said.

The Chicago Tribune first reported the deal.

ESPN reported last week that the Knicks had internal discussions recently about trading for Rose, the NBA MVP for the 2010-11 season.

Both Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek and general manager Steve Mills had said that the team was interested in upgrading their point guard position in the offseason.

Rose will be a free agent after the 2016-17 season. He averaged 16.4 points on 42.7 percent shooting and 4.7 assists in 66 games in 2015-16.

The six-year veteran has appeared in just 50 percent of the Bulls’ regular-season games over the past four years because of various injuries, including two major knee surgeries.

The Bulls have scheduled a 5 p.m. ET news conference Wednesday.

Attorneys: Chicago cops falsified witnesses’ accounts, threatened them

laquan-mcdonald-shooting-620x330

Chicago (CNN)At least three witnesses to the Laquan McDonald police killing were questioned for hours, threatened by officers and ordered to change their accounts to match the official Chicago police version of the shooting, the attorneys for the teen’s estate say.

The allegations are contained in more than 3,000 pages of recently released documents related to the case. The attorneys also allege that police officers up the chain of command fabricated witness accounts to support the way officers at the scene described the October 20, 2014, shooting as justified.

“It’s not just the officers on the street,” attorney Jeffrey Neslund told CNN. “It’s a lieutenant, a sergeant and detectives — and the lengths they went to justify what simply was not true.”

CNN contacted Neslund and Michael Robbins after the city released the documents to the news media in response to multiple Freedom of Information Act requests.

Asked if they stood by the accusations they made in letters to the city’s corporation counsel last March, Robbins said, “Absolutely.”

“You have a false narrative put out by police,” he said, “outright lies to cover up an illegal shooting, corroborated by other officers.”

read the rest here

powered by dj black bill gates

%d bloggers like this: